Following a scientifically structured programme which has been tailored to your unique profile and objectives is an invaluable approach to improved performance, for any competitive athlete. Dynamic performance coaching for cycling and running relies upon the virtuous circle of TRAIN – MEASURE – ADJUST throughout the programme to remove trial and error, and maintain continuous positive training progression.
An effective and practical training plan is based on Strength and Endurance conditioning, ideally starting from between 6- 12 months (meso-cycle) prior to your planned event or series of events.
Micro-cycles (7-12 days) of training frequency, duration and intensity are scheduled to suit your expendable training time, work and family life and help achieve maximum compliance. Robust, evidence-based applied physiology principles are exploited for optimal training effect, to secure both practical and performance goals. Appropriate durations of the important periodisation phases are customised to create adequate overload and adaptations to achieve peak performance when desired.
The main tenets of sports and exercise physiological practice are applied in each unique case; Competition analysis, Physiological assessment, Training analysis (holistic), Acute and Chronic training monitoring, Illness and injury vigilance, Data storage and analytics, Feedback and learning.
Your plan includes 7 important elements:
- PERSONAL GOAL SETTING. Support with choosing challenging events for your season ahead, based on background and training status.
- ENDURANCE STRATEGY. Interval training and detailed ride sessions with polarised intensity and volume, periodised for your event(s).
- STRENGTH CONDITIONING. Periodised variations in load, repetition and sets for multiple resistance based exercises to influence muscle fibre type composition through each phase. ADAPTATION, HYPERTROPHY, STRENGTH, POWER & ENDURANCE.
- MONITORED TRAINING. Heart rate and power meter data logged and analysed on an fully coached TRAINING PEAKS account.
- DYNAMIC PLANNING & FEEDBACK. A personalised and flexible schedule to optimise response and adaptations to training on a weekly basis. Frequent communication and necessary revisions to the plan.
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ASSESSMENTS & TESTING. Full lactate or critical power profiling, scheduled as necessary throughout the programme. Assess strengths and weakness for selected events. Setting objectives and use as training tools.
- EVENT STRATEGY. Assistance with nutritional and pacing strategies, based on either heart-rate or power to maximise probability of peak performance on race day.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to understand more on how performance coaching and a personalised periodisation plan will benefit your cycling or running.